Often, patients will come to a biological dentist asking to have their mercury fillings removed. If they have not been referred to us by a physician who has tested them for toxicity, we will typically have them sign a consent form that reviews the rationale for removal, as well as the potential risks. For some, we will recommend nutritional support before treatment.
To ensure the safety of patients, the dental team and the environment, we follow strict IAOMT protocols for the removal of mercury:
The patient is covered from the head to below the knees. The special face covering allows us to place a rubber dam in the mouth and connect a nasal cannula (oxygen tube). The cannula allows for the delivery of humidified oxygen to generate a positive pressure to push mercury vapor out of the mouth.
A tabletop mercury filter is used in the operatory, in addition to the large combination HEPA ultraviolet mercury filter we have for our entire office. A mercury ionizer behind the patient’s head acts to trap mercury ions in a stream captured by an electrified plate positioned at the patient’s feet. A large vacuum unit is positioned under the patient’s lower lip to gather particulate mercury.
Both doctor and assistant wear gowns and respirators.
After applying anesthesia, a special adapter is placed on the high volume suction in the mouth in order to capture any particles. Copious amounts of water are used to keep the area cool and wash away any particulates. The old filling is cut into sections and pulled out with hemostats (tweezers) to minimize the mobilization of mercury that would occur if the entire filling was drilled out.
Once the entire filling is removed, the area is irrigated with ozonated water and different agents that will help chelate mercury out of the tissue.
At this point, the procedure is a routine: filling, inlay or crown, depending upon the extent of damage to the tooth. For some highly sensitive individuals, we will use a rinse with activated charcoal to help capture any loose mercury before completion.